15 April 2021

Always Women's History Month [Updated]

Lately, the Marines that have been finding me have come through from others who stumble upon them. No matter how they come to me, they are worthy of being remembered, they are making themselves known, and it is my job to tell their story.  Last month was Women's History Month, and because I was in the midst of moving, I didn't get the chance to tell you about this Marine that friend (and Marine) TG told me about. No matter, every month is a perfect month to talk about history.
Courtesy of TG Heck

 

Lillian K. Christi was born on 14 May 1924 in Massachusetts, to Peter and Victoria Christi. She was born the same year as my grandfather, and like my grandfather (WWII veteran) she wanted to do her part in the war effort. But for her, it was the Korean War. Lillian enlisted in the Marine Corps at Boston on 28 January 1951. She joined the 3rd Recruit Training Battalion at Parris Island to train to be a Marine.

Extract from Muster Roll for January 1951, 3rd Recruit Training Battalion

On 16 April 1951, 70 years ago tomorrow, she was promoted to Private First Class and transferred to Service Battalion Camp Pendleton. Her MOS was listed as 0173 (staff office clerk). Lillian was promoted to Corporal on 4 December 1952, and just the next month she was promoted to Sergeant and six moths later she was promoted to Staff Sergeant. SSgt Christi's time in the Corps was short and seemingly uneventful; however, not everyone serves until retirement and leaves with a chestful of medals. Many more serve their time, do their duty and do it honorably. Such is the case of SSgt Christi. 

Her enlistment ended with an honorable discharge as SSgt on 24 January 1954. Her time in California made an impact, she lived there with her sister for many years before returning to the east coast. Staff Sergeant Christi lived a long life, passing away on 24 July 2012 at the age of 88. She did her part for our nation at a tough time, and for that we remember her. 

Thank you TG for introducing Staff Sergeant Christi to me so we could honor her service and bring her back to life once again. Staff Sergeant Christi, I know you would be so proud of your fellow ladies wearing the eagle, globe and anchor; they have done some wonderful things all the while struggling to deal with many of their fellow Marines who don't think they are "true Marines." Thank you, Staff Sergeant Christi, you are remembered!

19 April 2021

My daily walks take me by the cemetery in Manassas.  Today, I decided to walk through the rows.  It's quieter than the main drag and less cars. Sometimes I feel like I'm being called to walk the rows.  Today I wasn't the only one in the cemetery, so when I ran across the Marine, I didn't take a photo.  I didn't want to be rude to the person paying their respects nearby.  However, Corporal Cilley, wanted to be known.

Barbara Janet Cilley was born in Haverhill, Massachusetts.  The fact that she was born in the same state as Staff Sergeant Christi isn't the only similarity.  

Extract Eastern Procurement Division, October 1943

She enlisted on 20 October 1943 at Boston and then went to school at Camp Lejeune in January 1944.  By April she was assigned to Headquarters Marine Corps's Personnel Department and a Private First Class.  She was given the MOS of 055 (Clerk, General), which isn't surprising as many women filled admin billets such as these during World War II.  

I wonder if she celebrated the nation's birthday on 4 July 1944 or her promotion to Corporal? Both possibly.  I like to think so.  She stayed in until sometime after October 1945.  

She has a short memorial on Findagrave.  She sounds like the sweetest woman.  Cpl Cilley died in Florida on 18 June 2000. Like SSgt Christi, it appears she never married, but served in many capacities in her life.  Again, another woman who served without valor, but honorably and proudly enough to be remembered as a Marine in the afterlife.

Cpl Cilley, your service to our country is remembered once again.  Thank you.


2 comments: