16 April 2023

Cemetery Wandering

Oh the looks, and comments I've received when I tell folks how I spent my birthday.  It honestly cracks me up since I don't really care that most folks find it odd.  What is surprising are those who think "Yup, that's totally you."  So what did I do on my birthday? I drove 4.5 hours to a cemetery outside of Pittsburgh with the simple goal of visiting a Marine I first started researching many years ago, only to then end up wandering around finding loads of other Marines nearby.

As I mentioned in my previous post, 1stSgt Peter Tolusiak was first introduced to me by Maj Elliott--in the way of a conversation about the longest distance (at the time) flight performed by Marines back in 1923.  I began digging into 1stSgt Tolusiak (think "toe-woo-sheck") and as I did I realized he was buried in the Pittsburgh area.  It's been 13 years since I first visited the 1stSgt, and it seemed like a good time to make the trek once again.

St. Stanislaus Cemetery outside Pittsburgh

Tolusciak wasn't the first Marine to catch me wandering in cemeteries.  My former colleague and I had started this with our annual visits to the National Archives in St. Louis, a town with several Medal of Honor recipients in their final resting places.  But Tolusciak is the first that had me striking out more regularly to see what other Marines I could find.  On Friday, I found 12 total (including Tolusciak).  Here are just a few of their stories, because they all deserve a little attention on them and their service again:

PRIVATE CONSTANTINE STANLEY BUCZKOWSKI

I have to start with the World War I Marine I found.  Anyone who knows me, knows if you wish to pique my interest, simply start talking about World War I Marines.  Buczkowski enlisted on 4 August 1918, and made it to Europe just eight days before the armistice.  He was assigned to the 6th Machine Gun Battalion and served as part of the Army of Occupation before returning home to the US in August 1919.  Being from Pennsylvania, his Veteran's Compensation Application is online and fills in what the muster rolls don't tell me. 

Buczkowski's Veteran's Compensation Application

C. Stanley Buczkowski

CORPORAL RICHARD JULIUS STEC, JR

Here's a man BORN to be a Marine; born on 10 November, what choice did have have?  He enlisted on 17 December 1943 at the ripe old age of 29!  Stec fought on Iwo Jima with the 9th Marines, joining the regiment as a replacement as the battle raged on.  Stec returned home and was discharged on 5 April 1946.  Like Buczkowski, and being from Pennsylvania, his Veteran's Compensation Application is online and fills in what the muster rolls don't tell me. 

Veteran's Compensation Application

Richard J. Stec, Jr.

SERGEANT EDWARD MIKE FLAVIN

Flavin enlisted in April 1953 and after going through recruit training at MCRD Parris Island, he stayed on for several months before being shipped to Japan to serve with the 12th Marines in mid-1954.  There's little to go on in the muster rolls regarding Flavin's service with the artillery regiment, but rising to Sergeant in just two years (promoted 22 April 55) seems like he was a good Marine.  He returned to the US in January 1956 and was discharged soon thereafter.

Edward M. Flavin

There were several others, mostly WWII veterans and time will tell me their story.  But I can say that 1stSgt Tolusciak is in good company as each of these other Marines are less than 40 yards in either direction from him--although, being in Pittsburgh, they are on a good sized hill which made for great exercise.

As I found all these other Marines I recalled a conversation with another Marine one time where they were indicating that they believed their service in war was less than others in some way.  I didn't say what I was thinking, it wouldn't have been appropriate and might have come across as disrespectful.  However, my thought was "but you served, when others didn't. You were willing and others weren't. You served with honor, others didn't." And quite frankly, while there are degrees of dishonorable service, there is only ONE degree of honorable service. While the ribbons may not be as plenty, or seemingly valorous enough (in some opinions), the fact remains, like those surrounding 1stSgt Tolousciak, they all served when they were needed.  That, is true valor, in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment