07 September 2020

Platoon Sergeant Yale L. Hughes

Professionally, I'm a historian within the Department of Defense.  However, I cut my teeth in genealogy--researching my own family history.  In fact, it was at the Cayuga-Owasco Lakes Historical Society in Moravia, NY that I first learned what joy there was in helping people research history--something I've done the rest of my life/career.  So while visiting my folks in Upstate NY, I have taken to finding the burial locations of my many relatives (my father's family has been in this country since 1650, so many to find).  It's been during these visits that I have been sought out by the Marines in the cemetery.  


Just this past weekend, I visited the Cortland Rural Cemetery (in the heart of the city of Cortland, so not so rural these days) to locate Oliver and Elizabeth Hitchcock, my 3x great grandparents.  While there, I met two Marines, both WWII veterans.  Today, I'm honored to tell you what I know about Platoon Sergeant Yale L. Hughes.

Yale Lewis Hughes was born on 11 December 1922 in Oneida, New York.  His father Tremain was a pilot for the New York State Police, and was killed in an aircraft crash when Yale was just 10.  At sometime before World War II, his mother moved him and his brother and sister to Cortland, NY.  

On 26 December 1941, Hughes enlisted in the Marine Corps and was sent to recruit training at Parris Island, South Carolina.  While there he was with the 4th Recruit Battalion.  Upon graduation, he transferred to the 9th Defense Battalion, and was sent to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.  He remained with the 9th until it was readied to ship out for the Pacific, and Hughes was transferred to the 13th Defense Battalion in Cuba.  

By January 1943, while still in Cuba, Hughes was a Private First Class (PFC), and by April of the same year he was promoted to Corporal (Cpl) and in July 1943, he was a company clerk for the battalion.  Transfer was on the horizon for Cpl Hughes, as he's listed at Camp Elliott, California, in October 1943.  In January 1944, he was promoted to Sergeant and was assigned to the 7th Field Depot.

In WWII, the Marine Corps was a segregated service, just as the others.  However, it did not put black Marines in combat unit such as infantry, artillery or tanks.  Black Marines were placed in support units such as ammo companies, and field depot units.  The 7th Field Depot was a primarily black unit, and while not meant for combat, it saw combat as did Sgt Hughes.

From Blacks in the Marine Corps published by the Marine Corps History Division, "Saipan was the first target in the Marianas with D-Day 15 June 1944. The black Marines assigned to the 7th Field Depot helped load the supplies of the assault forces of the 2d and 4th Marine Divisions of the V Amphibious Corps." (pg 33).  "Indeed the black Marines had performed well under fire and the units of the 7th Field Depot that directly supported the 4th Marine Division, (3d Ammunition and 18th, 19th, and 20th Depot Companies) were included in the award of the Presidential Unit Citation given to that organization for its combat role on Saipan and Tinian. The latter island, close to Saipan, was taken in a classic shore-to-shore amphibious assault during the last week of July 1944." (pg 35)  All the while Sgt Hughes was with them.


At some time before January 1945, Hughes as promoted to Platoon Sergeant, and on 1 April he landed on Okinawa with his unit.  The 7th Field Depot was redesignated as the 7th Service Regiment but it continued as it had before, a segregated unit.  When the war ended, the 7th went to North China for occupation duty, and in October PltSgt Hughes was on his way back to the United States.   He was discharged on 7 February 1946.

As my research is based on available information in ancestry.com, newspapers.com, and other online materials, I am limited in what there is to find out.  I know that Hughes returned to Cortland, married in 1948 to Laura and lived together until his death on 19 December 1982; he was followed by Laura just four years later.

PltSgt Hughes' headstone is slowly sinking into the ground behind the dual headstone of his and Laura's.  I nearly walked right by him, but he found me and I was compelled to learn more about this Marine.  A veteran of Saipan, Tinian and Okinawa is no small feet; to serve with black Marines in combat is very unique and honorable.  Platoon Sergeant Hughes, you are not forgotten and thus live on again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment